heat wave salads
we’re experiencing a bit of a heat wave on the west coast right now, although it’s not as hot as it’s been in recent summers. when it’s hot, I start to crave really light and refreshing snacks and meals, which is why summer is when I end up eating lots of salads…but I quickly get bored with the normal ‘lettuce with veggies with protein’ thing. so I try to mix it up a little and here’s a few of my faves…
- slice an avocado and layer with slices of a tomato (and slices of fresh mozzarella for the non-vegans!). top with fresh basil and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. you can also add green onions if you want. it’s a summery version of a caprese salad! if you want it really fresh use lemon juice in place of vinegar.
- toss (chilled) couscous, cherry tomatoes and garbanzo beans with a little olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper. feel free to add some basil or even mint!
- throw together any berries you like (it’s berry season!) with any nuts you like and some dark leafy greens. Delicious!
- toss thinly sliced cucumber with toasted sesame seeds and a little soy sauce and rice vinegar. feel free to add some sliced onions if you like! makes a great snack.
- mix together black beans (can be canned), corn and chopped jicama, tomatoes and green onions. dress it with lime juice, cumin, basil and cilantro. perfect for a potluck or a bbq.