easy peezy coconut soup recipe
there were some random lonely veggies hanging out in our fridge and on these occasions i usually plop them all in a soup. this time i just made this soup recipe up simply using a can of coconut milk i had languishing in the cabinet …and it turned out really well…if i do say so myself! it’s totally fail-safe, quick and easy. here’s what i did but feel free to modify to your taste-bud’s desire. this recipe is totally vegan – but feel free to add egg or fish/meat if you would like. for more protein but still keeping it vegan, some tofu chunks would make a great addition!
Mr. Kate Easy Peezy Clean Out The Fridge Coconut Soup (vegan):
- 1 can of coconut milk (sold at any grocery store, Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s have good ones)
- veggies of your choice i would recommend using 1 onion, mushrooms (i used 2 giant portobellos, but you could use a cup of crimini), something green like a few leaves of kale and/or head of broccoli, 2 to 3 carrots, 1/2 cup of chopped ginger root (if you don’t have ginger root use ginger powder), a few sprigs of fresh parsley, etc. get creative and colorful.
- 1 half of a lime or lemon
- chili sauce or flakes (if you want it spicy) to taste
- 1 cup of veggie broth or water will do too (for extra liquid)
- spices: curry powder, salt and pepper to taste
do it (you’ll need around 15 to 20 minutes):
- chop the onions and put them in a pan with a little oil on medium to soften and release the flavor.
- once the onions are getting soft (after a couple minutes) add the chunks of mushroom and the other thick veggies (carrots, broccoli, etc.)
- salt to taste
- while those veggies are softening, cut the rest of your veggies into chunks (i made mine a nice chunky peasant soup – plus it’s faster and easier to chop big!)
- get a pot and transfer all of your veggies from the pan and the chopping board into the pot
- add your can of coconut milk and set the heat to medium or medium low
- add your spices to taste – curry, chili sauce, more salt and pepper to taste
- add your lemon or lime juice
- add more liquid by adding veggie broth or water – the consistency of the soup is up to you – i made mine with enough broth to cover most of the veggies cuz the broth was so good!
- stir from time to time until liquid is heated throughly and un-cooked veggies have cooked all the way through.
serve and eat! so yum! make a big pot and keep in the fridge for a couple days for lunches, etc!