recipe: herb roasted mini potatoes and onions
this is one of our favorite go-to side dishes. herb grilled mini potatoes and onions with ketchup or a vegan thousand island, ‘special sauce.’ a great comfort food option but they’re grilled so not high in calories. they’re totally fail- safe and really tasty!
What you need:
- bag of mini potatoes – i like the assorted bags from Trader Joe’s that have red or purple potatoes mixed with white and yellow
- one onion
- herbs of your choosing: rosemary, oregano, parika, basil, etc.
- fresh garlic (minced or pressed)
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Sauce: ketchup or a mixture of ketchup and Vegenaise
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Slice your potatoes and onions – you can either do discs or slivers, up to you!
- Boil your potatoes in a pot of water for a few minutes to soften – you should be able to stab them with a fork without too much effort – do not over cook because you will be baking them too.
- Grease a baking sheet with a little olive oil and lay your potatoes and onions out on the sheet
- Sprinkle your herbs, salt, pepper and fresh garlic all over your potatoes and onions, i love using rosemary, oregano, paprika (for color), salt and pepper
- Drizzle a little more olive oil over the top and pop in the oven
- Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes, you may want to give is a mix halfway through so your potatoes and onions get browned evenly
- For an extra brown and crispy effect, blast your potatoes and onions under the broiler for 1 or 2 minutes – make sure to supervise so you don’t burn them!
- Remove, cool and serve with ketchup or a dipping sauce of equal parts ketchup and Vegenaise (vegan mayo)