deep dish cupcake pizzas
so i have to give Joey credit for this recipe because he was in charge of making dinner the other night and he often gets experimental, which i love! so when he set these little (vegan) deep dish pizzas in front of me, that he had made in the cupcake tin, i had to laugh, and then taste, and then go ‘yum’ and then take a picture so i could blog it for you all!
Deep Dish Cupcake Pizzas (vegan)
What You Need:
- pre-made pizza dough – we love the whole wheat one from Trader Joe’s
- jar of tomato sauce
- stuff to snazz up your sauce: onions, garlic, olives, red pepper flakes, etc.
- Daiya cheese – or other vegan cheese of your choosing (can be made vegetarian with regular cheese)
- olive oil
- spices: oregano, salt, pepper
- a cupcake/muffin pan
- pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- in a sauce pan over medium heat, saute some onions, garlic, olives, peppers, etc. in a sploosh of olive oil – whatever you have around to snazz up your sauce as it will be a big part of these little pizzas so you want it very flavorful!
- once your snazz has softened, add your sauce to heat and mix with the snazz.
- using some more olive oil, grease the insides of your cupcake pan and rip pieces of dough to line each cupcake compartment to create your ‘crust’. remember to leave a little cavity for the sauce and cheese in the center so the dough to sauce/cheese ratio is muy bueno – really, you’re just lining the bottom and sides of the cupcake compartment. if your cupcake tins are deep – you may only want to fill them halfway.
- spoon sauce in each dough-lined tin and sprinkle with cheese. optional: garnish with oregano, salt and pepper…oh, and red pepper flakes!
- bake your pizzas for 25 to 30 minutes until the crust is cooked though and your cheese is melted to perfection!
- cool and eat while watching a good movie!