quinoa tabbouleh (vegan & gluten free)
i dreamt up this recipe and made it for lunch yesterday…it was fresh, healthy and delicious! Tabbouleh or Tabouli is a middle eastern grain salad dish usually made with bulgar wheat and parsley. i decided i wanted to try a gluten free version using red quinoa. it’s quick and easy and quinoa is really good for you, it is a whole grain that has a lot of protein and fiber. parsley is one of those superfoods that boosts immune function, is anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer! heck yes!
Quinoa Tabbouleh (vegan & gluten free)
What You Need:
- 2 cups of quinoa – serves 4 – i used the red quinoa from Trader Joe’s
- bundle of italian parsley
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 lemon
- olive oil
- 1 avocado for garnish
- optional: sub the veggies or add more like cucumber, tomato and a little fresh mint
- cook your quinoa per the instructions on the package – usually 2 cups of water per 1 cup of quinoa, boil, then simmer on low for 10 to 15 minutes. fluff and cool – so it’s not a warm salad!
- using a small food processor or a knife and your arm muscles, chop a nice bunch of parsley leaves – i used around 1.5 cups but you can add or subtract depending on how much you want in your dish – but you need parsley, that’s what makes it tabbouleh!
- chop your celery, pepper and other veggies and add them all in a salad bowl with your quinoa.
- dress with olive oil, lemon juice (i used the whole lemon for a nice acidity), and some salt – toss and taste as you go.
- garnish with some avocado and a sprig of parsley and you’re in healthy business! … this will keep in your fridge for a couple days and just get’s tastier!