garlic-lemon shitake and broccoli
i whipped up this veggie dish the other day for dinner and it was so good i had to post! Shitake mushrooms might be my favorite mushrooms, they probably tie with Oyster mushrooms. Shitakes have a buttery, smokey taste and are really good for you – many tests have been done on mushrooms lately and they’re known for B vitamins, iron, and support heart and immune system function – read more here. broccoli is duuuh, good for you too!
What You Need:
- 1 bag of broccoli florets or a head of broccoli (cut off the florets)
- 1.5 to two cups of sliced shitake mushrooms (Trader Joe’s sells a package of them – use the whole package)
- juice from half a lemon
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic (pressed or minced)
- a sploosh of soy sauce – around 1 tablespoon
- 1 tsp powdered or fresh ginger
- canola oil – or other cooking oil
- fresh chives for garnish
- steam your broccoli florets until they’re bright green – don’t overcook! leave them slightly undercooked since you’ll mix them with the mushrooms later.
- in a large pan saute your sliced shitakes in a sploosh of canola oil – get them nice and soft.
- once your shitakes are nice and soft add your sploosh of soy sauce, your ginger and minced garlic – stir together and let your garlic soften but not brown!
- quickly add your broccoli to your mushrooms and squeeze half a lemon into the beautiful mixture. plate and garnish with chopped chives… done!