gift for him: the iPlaid – holiday DIY #3
the iPlaid! i was musing about what to DIY for a guy, ha, that rhymes, and it’s hard to think of things! and then it hit me… technology! that’s what guys like! ….and plaid! thus was born the iPlaid (plaid shirt iPad case)!
i think this gift would suit young and old alike! let me know if you have any questions in a comment below! – oh, and on a side note, sorry the audio is so weird, we’re still working out the kinks with some new equipment!
What You Need:
- a plaid shirt – i think size extra small to medium work best
- an 8.5 x 11 padded envelope – or smaller if you’re doing an e-reader, etc.
- hot glue gun
- fabric glue sticks
- cut your shirt along the seam lines – cut the sleeves off and the front panels leaving the seams on the front panels.
- cut the adhesive tab off your padded envelope
- stuff the large back panel of the shirt inside the envelope (make sure there’s room for the iPad – check with a book), fold over the rim of the envelope and hot fabric glue in place – about an inch down from the rim and trim the excess below the glue line.
- figure out your placement for the outside of the case by placing the front panels of the shirt and folding around the bottom and sides to see what is covered. you may need to use some fabric from the sleeve to cover up one side edge.
- glue your fabric panels in place leaving enough room to fold over the opening and hot glue on the inside of the envelope (onto the lining) for a clean edge. trim the excess on the inside of the envelope.
- create neat folded corners by folding them like ‘military corners’ on a bed. glue in place.
- cut a cuff from one of the sleeves and use it as the tab to close the envelope. glue the button hole side to the back of the envelope and attache a piece of velcro to the front under the button and on the envelope to seal.