DIYable: top hat lighting
i have an obsession with top hats lately, you’ll see more evidence of this later. i love their structure but also their playfulness. these top hat pendant lights are rad! and so easy to DIY!
- top hat – you can buy them online ($7 to $60) or at flea markets, costume stores, etc. you could also use bowler hats too!
- lighting cord kits ($6 to $12)
- screw hooks
- optional: lamp base with a screw top lamp shade bracket
- sharp utensil to poke a hole in the hat
- use your sharp object to poke a hole in your top hat, large enough for the plug side of the cord kit to feed through – a slit should do nicely.
- feed your cord through starting with the plug, it should stop when it reaches the bulb apparatus **make sure the bulb is not too close to the top or side of the hat for fire safety.
- hang your cord and pendant light from a screw hook that you screw in the ceiling. you might want to use another screw hook to swag the cord over closer to the wall to run down to the plug.
- optional: for the top hat lamp, 1) use a great lamp base that you already have or from the thrift store that has a lampshade bracket with a screw top. 2) poke a hole in your hat large enough for the screw top to fit through, then fasten it with the knob that screws onto the screw top and keeps the hat in place.