tutorial: how i style my naturally curly hair
i’m finally doing this post for you peeps! i know so many of you have been commenting, emailing and tweeting, etc. asking me how i style my naturally curly hair. so here it is – a step by step tutorial on how i style my hair. not really a quickie but i wanted to get all the info in for you guys so it was clear what i do.
i wear my hair in a variety of ways, check out other hair-styling related posts here!
- wash hair with moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. lately i’ve been using Jason’s shampoo (Whole Foods) and Giovanni conditioner (Whole Foods) and Rahua conditioner (Salons) on my dry ends.
- apply curl defining cream – i use various kinds, currently Pureology.
- blow dry your hair using a diffuser, flip upside down to start and make sure to not make a defined part and keep a lift at your roots. scrunch with your hand to help define the curls.
- after your hair is dry, use a smoothing serum to calm the frizz and protect from the heat of the curling iron. currently i’m using the Shea butter one by Organix (CVS).
- use a tapered-end curling wand (mine is a 4 in 1 by Cortex – posted about it here) to curl any straight pieces. make sure to alternate the direction of your curls to get a more natural look.