DIY home decor: spoon painting
I wanted to come up with a painting technique that anyone could do, regardless of your painting skills! When I help people decorate their spaces, art is one of the main components to bring in life and design, but it can be expensive, or if you get store-bought art it can be predictable and less personalized. Using only a canvas, paint and a spoon, you can get a textured and colorful, custom piece of art. You can’t beat a hand-painted, or shall I say “spoon painted” statement piece! Another great thing about creating your own art is you can pick your ideal color palette to bring the colors of the room together and introduce more.
Watch the video above for the full tutorial and let me know in the comments below if you have any questions or if you create your own piece!
- large spoon
- a blank canvas (we used 36″ x 36″)
- acrylic paint in various colors of your choice
- paper towels (to keep spoon clean between colors)
- hair dryer – to speed up drying time
- choose the color order of your paints
- squeeze a line of paint onto the canvas using your first tube of paint
- use the back of the spoon to work the paint into the canvas using a side to side wave motion with your hand. don’t worry if it looks crooked, etc. this is an organic piece of art!
- repeat step 2 and 3 with the rest of your colors – remember that if you put the lines close together the colors will blend. you may want to do the first round of stripes not touching, let them dry (speed it up with the blow dryer) and then fill in the spaces with the next batch of colors – that’s what I did in the video.
- tip: remember to paint the edges of your canvas too!
- let it dry and hang!
- pants: J Brand
- top: Zara
- shoes: DIY boho boots
- jewelry: Mr. Kate Starburst Necklace, The Year Of The Pig Necklace, and Decay Cascade Ring!
- nails: DIY heart-felt nails
You may also like -