DIY cigar box and burlap jewelry organizer
I got a ton of these cigar boxes at the Goodwill for $1.99 and I’ve been trying to figure out what DIY to do with them – I had planned to wrap holiday gifts in them buuuut, that didn’t happen – so instead, we folded up some burlap, accordion-style and inserted it in one of these rad, wooden boxes and ta da, it becomes the perfect ring/bracelet storage! You could interpret this fabric DIY in any box but I loved the blingy Mr. Kate jewelry inside the rustic/vintage-inspired wood box…now I just have to figure out what to do with the other six cigar boxes.
- Empty cigar box or any empty box with enough depth
- Burlap – or whatever fabric you like, satin would be really pretty too!
- Another thick fabric (color/texture doesn’t matter because it will be hidden by the burlap)
- Hold up the burlap next to the cigar box to measure the width for the strip of fabric, then cut the the burlap so it is the same width as the box. Tip: the length of the fabric will vary depending on the size of the box, experiment with folding a piece to see how it fits to make sure you have enough slack to get the size folds you want. Remember the folds need to be deep enough to fit the rings and/or bracelets you want to store.
- Cut another piece of fabric the same width and length as the burlap – this will be your interior ‘bulk’ fabric to layer under the burlap.
- Gather about 4 strips of fabric (depending on how thick your interior and exterior fabric is) back to back and put the burlap on top.
- Slowly fold all the fabric together, creating an “accordion” fold
- Place it in the box and even out all the folds
- Organize your jewelry!