dressing up a boring sofa?
“G” Asks: Hi Mr. Kate! I’ve got an all black leather sofa. I find it pretty boring, do you have any suggestions??
Hi G! Sofas are an important part of any living or family room. It’s where you sit and get cozy or sit and entertain but it’s also a giant piece of furniture so it should be a style statement in your space! With that in mind, here are some simple ways to dress up a boring sofa and make it part of the design of the room…
- Above, are some examples of rooms that I think are successful in decorating on and around a black leather sofa. Whether you like colorful and eclectic or modern and minimalist, you can get a designed look by adding throw pillows, area rugs on the floor near the sofa and interesting, large scale art on the wall behind the sofa. Remember, sofas are low to the ground so it is important to decorate the wall above them so your eye can see things at all levels around the room.
- Throw pillows and faux sheepskin really cozy up a couch and add color, pattern and texture. For more faux check out Design Inspo: Faux Sheepskin. Throw pillows are easy and inexpensive to buy at stores like Target, Ross, Pier 1, etc. and online. Try mixing prints like you would with an outfit!
- Blankets! Serape – see more in Design Inspo: add color with serapes, add color and can also cover up a stain or mark on an old couch…plus, they keep you warm when you’re watching movies!
- Slipcovers are a great way to quickly change the look of your sofa. There are slipcovers made to fit nearly every size and style of sofa. The look of a slipcover is more beachy, or shabby chic looking but if you find one with a snug fit, you won’t be able to tell that it is a slipcover. I used a white slipcover on our old office couch – which you can see in this post and above. Also, try covering your sofa with tapestries or dye your own slipcover a fun color… see DIY Dyed Colorful Sofa Slipcover.
- Here’s my own vintage leather couch featured in the Mr. Kate Home Tour. I used throw pillows and a throw blanket to add pattern, color and coziness, an area rug to ground the large couch and a big empty frame on the wall above the couch!
- If you’re totally sick of your sofa you can re-upolster it for usually less money than it costs to buy a brand new sofa…it just depends on the fabric that you choose and how complex the upholstery work. I recommend taking it to a professional upholsterer as you want it to be a perfect job to withstand all your sitting and sleeping! Try a fun pattern or color to completely re-energize your sofa.
Have fun dressing up your boring sofa! It’s fun and as you can see, anything goes!
Fatal error: Call to undefined function related_posts() in /home/mrkate/public_html/wp-content/themes/mrk8v2/single-dear_mr_kate.php on line 76